HELLO

10.5.11

The Hummingbird Bakery: Strawberry Cupcakes

I know I have my own cookery blog, but the cupcake is well and truly in vogue right now. Everyone wants them, and there even healthy vegetables ones available! So after a tough morning at university, I was sat in bed watching Julie and Julia for possibly the 10th time since I bought it on Thursday, and was like "get your ass out of bed and do something!". Which of course meant cooking, and the pink glowing spine of Cake Days by The Hummingbird Bakery was just waiting for me. This excellent birthday present from my dear friend Becky, had yet to be explored and my first venture from this book at their Strawberry Mini Cupcakes. 
YOU WILL NEED:
150g caster sugar
strawberries
40g unsalted butter (softened)
120 plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 large egg
120ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (I had none so I used vanilla powder) 
and for the icing
80g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
4 tsp milk

  • Preheat the over to 170C and lay out the cupcake cases
  • Using a freestanding mixer, slowly mix together butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until the mixture forms a breadcrumb like texture
  • Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla in a jug. Slowly add this to the dry mixture until fully combined.

  • Drop a few slices of strawberry into the bottom of each cupcake case. Then spoon over enough mixture to fill 2/3rds of the case. Bake these for 15 mins
  • Allow these to cool completely before icing. For the icing whisk together the butter and icing sugar slowly. Then add the milk and whisk until smooth.
  • Add sprinkles to the mixture to give it some crunch, and evenly spread over each cupcake

  • Add sprinkles to the top and ENJOY!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to hearing from you. I will reply to all comments that I can. Ellie ♥